Written & Illustrated by: Christiane Engel
For Ages: 5-6 years
Topics Covered: Social-Emotional Development, Love, Family.
Summary: This book goes through the alphabet giving different examples of how to show love to those around you. It also invites the reader to think about how they feel loved. Written and illustrated in the same style as ABC Yoga, the book is easy to follow along in a large group given its bigger dimensions than the typical board book. Each page is devoted to a letter with a theme, coupled with a short sentence describing the content through the lens of an act of love. “Love is to welcome. Love is to reach out. Love is to leave a light on.” Engel does a fabulous job of showing the multitude of ways an individual can show a loved one or their community signs of love.
- How do people show you love?
- What are some of the ways you show love to people?
- What are some new ways you learned love can be shown?
Continuing the Conversation:
- Pick your favorite letter and make your own illustrations for it!
- What is a way you show someone love? Draw it and make a wall collage to showcase all of the wonderful ways the classroom shows love to those around them.
- As a group, think about a way you can help the community. What is something you think your school, neighbors, or town needs? Work together and make a plan to help those around you!
About the Author & Illustrator:
Christiane Engel loves writing and illustrating, especially for children and young people! She has illustrated over 30 children’s books so far and also works on magazines, advertising, juvenile fiction, and kids’ products. Her work can be found in a huge variety of kids’ books all over the world, including a kids’ bible and a children’s atlas as well as Walter Foster Jr.’s ABC Love and ABC Yoga. Her instantly recognizable children’s characters appeared in an award-winning ad campaign in the UK and she works with the Surrey County Council to create advertising and educational material for families. She has also created illustrations for animated programs for clients including the BBC. Christiane lives by the sea in southeast England with her little family.