Written & Illustrated by: Christiane Engel
For Ages: 5-6 years
Topics Covered: Mindfulness, Self-Expression, Meditation, Friendship, Yoga, Social Emotional Development.
Summary: Much like Engel’s other books, this one introduces the intimidating topic of mindfulness in an approachable and easy to understand way for young children. Each letter in this oversized board book explores a facet of mindfulness: Energy, Sleep, Thankfulness, Yoga, and Emotion. There is a three line lyrical explanation of how to make the word a part of your life to increase mindfulness. They are simple ideas like taking a walk, playing outside, and making a nature mandala. In the back of the book are more detailed activity ideas for nature art, a Thankfulness Tree, and emotion rocks.
- Have you ever heard of mindfulness?
- What did you learn from the book so you can do to have a calm mind?
- What is something you would like to try?
Continuing the Conversation:
- What can we do as a classroom or group for a moment together that celebrates mindfulness, and get us ready for the day? Choose something from the book to integrate into the daily routine.
- Reflect on your own mind and body, and think about how you can be a good role model to others.
About the Author & Illustrator:
Christiane Engel loves writing and illustrating, especially for children and young people! She has illustrated over 30 children’s books so far and also works on magazines, advertising, juvenile fiction, and kids’ products. One of her latest projects is ABC for Me – a series of board books that Christiane created together with Quarto Kids / Walter Foster Jr.