Written & Illustrated by: Christiane Engel
For Ages: 5-6 years
Topics Covered: Social-Emotional Learning, Mindfulness, Yoga.
Summary: This book is a great way to introduce children to yoga by weaving a story into the poses. By having a pose with a picture for each letter of the alphabet, children understand how their bodies should look in the pose. The fun animal-themed poses on each page ignite the imagination of the young audience! Each letter page also has a short poem that helps to explain the pose- “jellyfish wobbles by. Lie on your back-look at the sky” it also shows a child and a jellyfish interacting happily on the beach. These simple illustrations are cheerful and easy to see, a key feature if they’re going to be shown during an actual yoga class! Children of any age could begin their own practice of yoga, starting with this book.
- What was your favorite pose in the book?
- Do you think your family would like to do some of these poses together?
- When is a time during the day that you like to relax? Do you think yoga could help with that relaxation time?
Continuing the Conversation:
- Integrate doing a few yoga poses throughout your classroom day. Have a good listener pick a pose to close circle time, or do a few poses to help student wake up from a rest time. Incorporating mindfulness exercises like “flower breaths” can also help with emotional regulation and self-soothing techniques that are so crucial for young children to learn in their first years of schooling.
- If there is an opportunity to do yoga on a regular basis as a class or group, try having a Guest Yogi and let a student choose poses from this book to “teach” the class.
About the Author & Illustrator:
Christiane Engel loves writing and illustrating, especially for children and young people! She has illustrated over 30 children’s books so far and also works on magazines, advertising, juvenile fiction, and kids’ products. One of her latest projects is ABC for Me – a series of board books that Christiane created together with Quarto Kids / Walter Foster Jr.