Written & Illustrated by: Owen Davey
For ages: 5 and up
Topics Covered: Nature, Insects, Environment, Life Cycles, STEM.
Summary: Starting with a contents page, this book delves into the exciting and diverse world of beetles. Bright, colorful illustrations in a very enticing and specific style adorn the pages as the reader learns all about the world of beetles. Everything is labeled clearly, with pictures big enough to tell the fine details between beetles. On some pages, specifically “A Way of Life” different terrestrial and aquatic beetles are explained, with another beetle needing to be sorted. Another pages asks the reader to find a camouflaged beetle on a tree. This ensures that the information is being taken in by the reader and critical thinking skills are being flexed! One of the more interesting pages in the book is about fireflies, and their flash patterns. This entire book is fascinating, with understandable explanations for difficult scientific concepts while at the same time introducing fantastic vocabulary for every budding scientist you know! In the back of the book are a couple pages dedicated to beetle conservation, as well as a helpful index sorted by beetle family, with the names the beetles featured in the book. This index has both the scientific classification and common name!
This is one of four books in Davey’s series. Subjects also covered are cats, sharks, and monkeys. Filled with fun facts and exciting information about every beetle a person could think of, Bonkers About Beetles is a book that no matter how many times looked through, something new can always be found!
- Which beetle in the book was brand new to you today?
- What beetle were you most excited to learn more about?
- Did anything in the book surprise you?
- What’s your favorite part of the book?
Continuing the Conversation:
- Design your own beetle! In Davey’s book, there are zillions of patterns, colors, and features. Think about everything covered in the book, and design your own beetle that could survive anywhere! Draw a picture, and then go on a “Beetle Walk” around the classroom and see everyone else’s creations.
- Learn more about beetles in your area, and which ones are native to the environment. What are some of their adaptations that help them survive? Are there any beetles that are not native, but were introduced? How are they impacting the habitats and other creatures around them?
- Conservation efforts take a lot of hands. What can you do in your community? Are there specific beetles or other insects that are more endangered than others? Find out some easy ways you and your community can help these tiny treasures!
- Davey has a very specific illustration style. Try and recreate it, drawing your own comic!
About the Author & Illustrator:
Owen Davey is an award-winning Illustrator, living & working in Leicester, UK. He has a First Class BA(Hons) Degree in Illustration from Falmouth University. Davey is a primary Illustrator for TwoDots which has been #1 in over 70 countries, as well as the illustrator of iPad App of the Year 2015 game, The Robot Factory. His work has been published in every continent except Antarctica, including picture books in UK, America, Australia, Germany, France, The Netherlands, Portugal, China, Sweden, Russia & South Korea!