Written & Illustrated by: Jen Wang
For ages: Young Adults and up
Topics Covered: Gender Expression, Growing Up, Love, Family, Acceptance, Friendship.
Summary: Prince Sebastian doesn’t particularly want to get married, but his parents are desperate for him to find a mate. All Sebastian really wants to do is blow off steam and wear fabulous dresses as a disguise while out on the town. He comes across Frances, a talented young seamstress and hires her to live in the castle and create one of a kind looks for him. Frances begins to accompany him out on the town and the pair become best friends. Frances is only one of two people that know the prince likes to wear dresses. When the prince’s alter-ego Lady Crystallina begins to be recognized, and her fashions desired, the two reach an impasse because Frances getting recognized as the creator of these dresses could also mean the cover is blown for Sebastian. This is a fabulous graphic novel about friendship, acceptance, and personal expression. Definitely recommended for anyone who enjoys fashion design, or who wears anything unique and might get teased for it.
- How would you feel if you were Frances in the story, not being recognized for her work?
- How do you think Sebastian feels, not being able to let people know his “secret”?
- Who are the people in your life that you trust with your secrets?
- How are you a good friend when someone tells you a secret?
Continuing the Conversation:
- Design your own perfect outfit-what makes you feel most comfortable? Sebastian liked wearing pants and shirts as much as he liked wearing fancy dresses, and you can too! But what matters most is that you’re dressing the way that makes you feel most comfortable.
- Draw your own comic! The land that Frances and Sebastian live in is fictitious, you can imagine a new place or write about one that already exists!
- Think about what it means to be a good friend. What is important to you in a friend, and how can you embody those characteristics for your friends as well? If it’s helpful, you can make a list or collaborate with someone.
About the Author & Illustrator: