–“Biological sex” has to do with private parts, the ones covered by a bathingsuit. This is how a doctor assigns “male” or “female” to a baby that’s just been born.
-A “gender identity” is how someone feels inside (a person can feel like a boy or a girl, but sometimes both or neither).
–Gender expression is how people show the world how they feel inside. This is done through clothing, haircut, etc.
“When somebody tells you that they are a boy or a girl, you should believe them, even if they don’t look like what you think a boy or a girl looks like, because they know how they feel on the inside, and they know themselves the best”.
Think about someone who grows their hair out, or maybe cuts their hair very short. They’re still the same person they just like their hair long instead of short. It doesn’t change who they are inside, it just helps to match their outside with their inside.
- Gender Spectrum– Gender Spectrum’s mission is to create a gender-inclusive world for all children and youth. To accomplish this, we help families, organizations, and institutions increase understandings of gender and consider the implications that evolving views have for each of us.
- Trans Student Educational Resources -Trans Student Educational Resources is the only national organization led entirely by transgender youth. While TSER members do have specific roles, we purposely do not have an executive director or management to make sure all levels of the organization have a voice and operate collectively. Below are our current team members. If you’d like to contact us, you can email TSER [at] transstudent.org.
- Gender Equity in the Classroom on Edutopia
- HRC Resources for Gender-Expansive Children and Youth
- Gender Diversity-Education and Support Services-Gender Diversity increases the awareness and understanding of the wide range of gender diversity in children, adolescents, and adults by providing family support, building community, increasing societal awareness, and improving the well-being for people of all gender identities.
- Gender Justice in Early Childhood–This website focuses on has an expansive Info Sheet about gender and gender identity, as well as many resources with a wide range of topics. Terminology, books, and oral storytelling are just a few of the resources offered.